Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Happy July 4th !

Happy Independence Day to all of you!! This morning we’re all more or less lazying around, visiting and trying to stay cool. I feel fortunate to have gotten a four mile walk in on the bike trail while the temperatures were lower and everyone slept in. “Everyone” except hubby, Paul. No one in this house gets up earlier than he does!! He has been laboring at the computer, trying to learn how to post pictures on my blog for me. (Following this message, there will be pictures of yesterday’s July 4th party at Grandma’s and Grandpa’s home.) This afternoon, Theo and Krystalynn and Steve (her hubby), are taking Dad (Paul) to the theater for the opening week-end of Stephen Speilberg‘s, “War of the Worlds.” I haven’t decided if I am going or not? I usually regret going because of the language, intimate scenes, etc. I just don’t find those things enteraining, enjoyable, uplifting or
wholesome! I get a steady diet of that in the ER, on the news, and on TV--free!! Why would I want to pay good money to sit in front of a huge, surround-sound screen to be made uncomfortable??? When I have capitulated and gone, I usually hear myself asking me, “What were you thinking? Did you really expect something different--better? What are you doing here, listening to and watching something that makes you squirm??” OK, so I AM a prude!!! SORRY-- just dub me “Church Lady!” It’s okay. My shoulders are broad!! Besides, I grew up in the movie theater--literally!! It was my daytime baby sitter, while my Mom was at work. I sat through many repeated episodes throughout the day, and even chose my dream profession, trapeze artist, after several performances of “The Greatest Show On Earth.” I think it was a sure cure for flicks, at least for me! (But at least “back in those days” the movies and language wasn’t so raw.) So, I hate to be a “party-pooper,” but I think I’ll stay home and fix the potato salad, knit, prepare some packages to mail to my secret pal while we are on vacation, and listen to a beautiful new CD from Sunny, called “Deep Unto Deep.” Later this afternoon, we will have the usual July 4th menu of hot dogs (vege, of course), that potato salad I mentioned, chips, corn-on-the-cob, root beer, and watermelon slices. Yum!! Hopefully, this evening we will find some nice fireworks to top off the holiday. We are investigating the Oroville Dam display. We have never been, but hear they are the best. Maybe because they reflect over the water?? May you all have a fun, safe, and sane day and celebration!!!