Monday, June 27, 2005

Southern California visit

On June 10th , I was fortunate enough to get 10 consecutive days off to go to southern California and spend some time with two of my sons, their wives, and children. A rare treat!! Spent the first Sunday at Disneyland, a place I haven’t been to for over 25 years!!. I was amazed how clean and manicured it is. This year is the park’s fiftieth anniversary, and you would never guess, everything looks so new and well maintained! I wondered when repairs, repainting, etc. does happen, since there is no sign of such for tourists! The parade and fireworks were even more spectacular than usual because of the anniversary celebration. We stayed til closing--eleven o’clock, and while awaiting the tram to the parking level, I wondered what their budget and overhead is?? It was kind of a mind boggling thought!

Anyway, I highly recommend going if any of you out there haven’t been. To top the night off, I was the recipient of a lovely random act of kindness. It was my son’s 36th birthday, and he has been a Mickey Mouse fan since he was a small boy. I wanted to get him a Mickey Mouse face balloon from one of the vendors. I had only brought my plastic, no cash. Wouldn’t you know it, the balloons required cash. Seven dollars to be exact. I went into a restaurant before they closed, to see if I could get the cash from my credit card?? No luck, but a sweet looking young woman next to me asked, “how much do you need?” She had overheard my request, and as I explained my desire and plight, she was reaching into her purse, grabbing bills. I couldn’t believe it, and asked if she would share her address so I could reimburse her? She handed me seven dollar bills, asking if I was sure that was going to be enough, then smiled and said, “This is the happiest place on earth,” as she walked away. She was like an angel.