Wednesday, May 02, 2007

A Tribute To May and Mother

Whatever happened to May Day? Back in the early ‘40’s when I was growing up in Houston, Texas, we celebrated the first day of May, both at our elementary school and in our neighborhoods. On that day, as first and second graders, we would gather on the playground where the tether ball pole had been designated as “The May Pole.” With the ball removed for this special occasion, crepe paper streamers of all colors had been secured to the top. At the appointed time for our May Pole “dance” to begin, each of us, boys and girls alike, would choose and tightly grasp our favorite colored streamer and begin marching or skipping around the pole, until it was totally entwined with our bright and variegated paper strips. Although it was an incredibly simple activity, it was very enjoyable and meaningful for us, as children, to usher in the month of May!

My most cherished May Day activity, however, during this same era, involved a lot of planning and preparation, which included a huge investment of time by my mother. No sooner was the egg shell project completed, and we would once again be shopping at the same local Dime Store, this time buying one package of crepe paper in every color they stocked! We would also purchase the smallest paper cups we could find, plus a package of pipe cleaners, and, of course, more glue.

For the next few weeks, every night after supper, I would watch, spellbound, as my mother designed and constructed beautiful and dainty May Baskets, each one different from the other. She did this by cutting narrow bands of the various colored crepe paper into the shape of petals, gluing these strips around and around the trimmed-down, shortened version of the paper cups. Then, she would take her thumbs and pinch each crepe paper petal to make it puff outward, giving the entire circle of puffy petals the appearance of a flower. Next she would glue an even narrower strip of green crepe paper to the outer colored petals. These strips had been pre-cut to resemble fronds of grass or leaves.

The green crepe paper was also used to wrap around the pipe cleaners, giving them the likeness of a curved, green flower stem. The pipe cleaner stems were then fastened into the sides of the little paper cups, to serve as a handle for the tiny baskets. With no two baskets alike, and being so completely captivating and adorable, it was very difficult to decide which was my favorite, since I was allowed to keep one for myself.

The final step in this production took place on the evening of April 30th, as we generously filled each flower basket to the brim with small candy treats, which included pastel mints and salted peanuts. The next morning, May 1st, May Day to be exact, I had the long anticipated delight and satisfaction of imparting “our” works of art, distributing them bright and early before going off to school. As I secretly, and very quietly, delivered them to the front steps and porches of my special friends and elderly neighbors, I believed my mother’s May Baskets were the most magnificent and sought after in the world, and I still do!

These are but one more of the hand-made heirlooms I wish I would have kept for posterity to share with my family.